Interview Questions for Payroll Assistants:
1. Which salary deductions may companies enforce?
Assesses technical knowledge.
2. How would you avoid a frantic rush before the pay run?
Reveals the ability to plan and perform duties far in advance of the final deadline.
3. What would you do if someone was given a raise despite poor performance?
Demonstrates awareness of one's involvement in the company's finances, including restraints on decision-making.
4. How would you assist an employee who had been short-paid?
Tests interpersonal skills and the ability to remedy mistakes in a timely manner.
5. Which features of payroll software would you like to become familiar with?
Highlights possible skills gaps and a willingness to learn.