Patent Paralegal Job Description Template
We are looking for a highly capable patent paralegal to assist our law firm with filing patent applications and prosecuting patent infringements. In this role, your duties will include maintaining Intellectual Property (IP) dockets, researching patent databases, and monitoring the filing status of patents.
To ensure success as a patent paralegal, you should possess knowledge of IP filing and patent prosecution procedures. An outstanding patent paralegal will be a team player whose resourcefulness translates into excellent support to patent attorneys.
Patent Paralegal Responsibilities:
- Collaborating with the USPTO, attorneys, liaisons, foreign associates, and staff.
- Extracting relevant IP information from official USPTO databases and correspondence.
- Generating docket reports, performing IP docketing, and tracking deadlines.
- Entering new U.S. Provisional, Continuation, Utility, Design, CIP, Opposition, Divisional, and re-examination files into databases.
- Assisting attorneys with patent filing by resolving discrepancies, errors, and omissions.
- Maintaining IP records and reviewing files.
- Reporting to Senior Intellectual Property (IP) Attorneys.
- Performing IP research on public and private databases.
- Processing incoming and outgoing correspondence.
Patent Paralegal Requirements:
- A bachelor's degree in business, or a post-secondary program with law-related coursework.
- State-approved accredited paralegal certification.
- A minimum of two years of experience in patent docketing and prosecution administration.
- Proficiency in legal terminology and electronic databases, including the USPTO's Trademark Electronic Search System (TESS).
- Experience in managing IP records and generating docket reports.
- Extensive knowledge of patent filing and review.
- Exceptional ability to perform research and keep track of deadlines.
- Ability to collaborate with others and work independently.
- Exceptional recordkeeping and communication skills.