Legal Assistants, also known as Paralegals, are legal professionals who assist individual lawyers or legal teams by preparing and prioritizing legal documents. They perform legal research, compile legal documents and evidence, facilitate interviews, and provide assistance prior and during court proceedings.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Legal Assistant Job Description Template
We are looking to hire a Legal Assistant with superb research and administrative skills. Legal Assistants are expected to work well under pressure and deliver on tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
To ensure success, Legal Assistants should be proficient at multi-tasking, intuitive and excellent communicators with a keen interest in providing accurate and insightful support to lawyers and legal teams. Top candidates will be experts in key legal concepts with fantastic organizational skills, great IT skills and a meticulous attention to detail.
Legal Assistant Responsibilities:
- Conduct legal research on cases and gather pertinent legal information.
- Interpret laws, rulings and regulations in legal documents.
- Compile, proofread and edit drafts of contracts, leases, licenses, policies and other legal documents.
- Monitor, study and develop written summaries of proposed and enacted legislation, regulations, court decisions, industry guidelines, trade journals and other relevant publications.
- Assist with case preparation including opening and closing arguments, and aiding in court motions or pleadings.
- Daily record keeping with electronic and physical filing of caseloads.
- Analyze and summarize documents.
- Assist with the administration and management of workflow.
- Locate and interview witnesses.
- General administrative duties ie. answering correspondence and taking telephone calls.
Legal Assistant Requirements:
- Bachelors degree in Law or Paralegal certification or similar (essential).
- Two years of legal research experience.
- Two years of experience in drafting legal and business documents.
- Analytical thinker with strong conceptual and research skills.
- Ability to understand and interpret legal documents.
- Strong organizational skills and meticulous attention to detail.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, Lexis-Nexis, PACER, Westlaw and other legal research sites.
Similar Job Descriptions
Related Hiring Resources