PACU Nurse Job Description Template
We are seeking a dedicated PACU nurse to carefully monitor the condition of patients who are waking up from post-operative anesthesia. You will be monitoring levels of consciousness, measuring vital signs, and treating post-operative side effects of anesthesia medication such as pain or nausea.
To ensure success as a PACU nurse, you should possess experience in caring for post-anesthesia patients and the ability to function in a high-pressure environment. An accomplished PACU nurse will be someone whose expertise results in patients who feel reassured while safely recovering from anesthesia.
PACU Nurse Responsibilities:
- Monitoring post-operative patients' levels of consciousness during recovery from anesthesia.
- Measuring and recording patients' vital signs.
- Closely observing patients for signs of side effects of anethesia medication.
- Treating pain, nausea, and other post-operative symptoms of anesthesia.
- Updating charts, patient files, and medical records.
- Collaborating with the medical team on post-operative patient care and facilitating timely specialized interventions.
- Providing comfort and reassurance to distressed post-operative patients and concerned family members.
- Educating patients and their families on post-surgery care, as well as answering questions.
PACU Nurse Requirements:
- An associate's or bachelor of science degree in nursing (BSN).
- Registered Nurse (RN) certification.
- Certified post-anesthesia nurse (CPAN) preferred.
- At least two years' of experience as a nurse in a post-anesthesia care unit.
- Proficiency in electronic hospital management systems, such as eHospital and Mediexcel.
- Extensive experience in measuring and interpreting vital signs and levels of consciousness.
- Advanced knowledge of best practices in patient care.
- Exceptional interpersonal, communication, and collaboration skills.
- Superb organizational and time management abilities.
- Availability to work rotational shifts, including nights, weekends, and public holidays.