Orderly Attendant Job Description Template
We are seeking a skilled and pleasant orderly attendant to assist patients with mobility limitations to reach different locations in our facility. You will also be required to assist patients with eating and drinking and performing personal hygiene routines. As an orderly attendant, your duties will also include taking blood pressure and changing bed linen.
To ensure success as an orderly attendant, you should exhibit knowledge of appropriate techniques to assist patients and experience in taking basic health measurements. Ultimately, a top-notch orderly attendant is someone who can be entrusted with the safety of patients and one who demonstrates a caring approach.
Orderly Attendant Responsibilities:
- Assisting patients from their beds into wheelchairs and back.
- Using specialized hospital beds and stretchers to move mobility-compromised or seriously ill patients.
- Taking health measurements as well as lifting patients onto and off examination and procedure tables.
- Providing frail patients with assistance to eat, drink, use bedpans, visit the bathroom, and perform personal hygiene tasks.
- Applying specialized care techniques to ensure patient safety and comfort.
- Demonstrating care and patience in assisting immobile and ill patients.
- Delivering and fetching patients on schedule and adhering to urgent requests without delay.
- Changing bed linen, as well as sterilizing and cleaning hospital equipment after use.
- Reporting equipment wear and tear, as well as mechanical failures in a timely manner.
- Assisting with other duties, when required.
Orderly Attendant Requirements:
- High school diploma or GED.
- Nursing assistant and CPR certification would be advantageous.
- 2-3 years of experience as an orderly attendant in a similar role.
- Ability to perform physically demanding labor throughout shifts.
- Advanced ability to assist patients while ensuring their safety and comfort.
- Knowledge of medical equipment used in providing patient care.
- Proficiency in cleaning and sanitizing medical equipment and safely discarding biological waste.
- Exceptional time management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a caring approach.
- Willingness to work irregular hours, including evening hours, weekends, and holidays.