Mold Maker Job Description Template
We are looking for a skilled mold maker to join our team in the creation of precision molds. The mold maker will be responsible for making repairs or adjustments to existing molds, using precision tools and blueprints to create new molds, and melting metals to make molds used in casting metal, clay, or plaster.
A successful mold maker should have the physical stamina to spend long hours on their feet and perform repetitive tasks. A top-notch mold maker will have strong CAD skills, as well as knowledge of computer numerically controlled machine tools.
Mold Maker Responsibilities:
- Reading blueprints, following instructions, and using CAD programs to plan the molds that must be constructed.
- Creating new tooling for molds, die-casting, and metal stamping according to specifications from the design team.
- Setting up equipment and ensuring each piece of equipment is appropriate for the intended mold design.
- Mixing modeling materials and melting metal pieces for creating molds.
- Maintaining and repairing existing tooling and molds.
- Creating prototype products, fixtures, and jigs to check the effectiveness of newly created molds.
- Analyzing and correcting mold malfunctions.
- Disassembling mold tooling for cleaning and repairs.
Mold Maker Requirements:
- A high school diploma or GED.
- An associate's degree in tool making or a related field may be advantageous.
- Completion of an accredited mold making apprenticeship program may be advantageous.
- A minimum of 2 years' experience in mold making or mold maintenance.
- In-depth knowledge of computer numerically controlled machine tools, precision measurement devices, and other shop equipment.
- Strong troubleshooting and problem-solving skills.
- Good active learning, time management, communication, and organizational skills.
- Excellent manual dexterity, wrist-finger speed, and arm-hand steadiness.
- Attention to detail and the ability to read and interpret blueprints.
- The ability to work with minimal supervision.