Medical Equipment Preparer Job Description Template
We are looking for a skilled medical equipment preparer to ensure that our medical equipment and instruments are ready and safe for use. In this role, your duties include installing equipment, sterilizing instruments, and performing maintenance checks. You may also be required to operate specialized medical equipment and perform routine equipment tests.
To ensure success, medical equipment preparers should possess extensive knowledge of medical equipment and instruments, as well as experience in a medical environment. First-class candidates have a keen eye for detail and adhere to best practices in healthcare.
Medical Equipment Preparer Responsibilities:
- Using sterile wipes, and pressurized aerators and water nozzles to clean equipment and parts.
- Cleaning medical instruments to prepare them for autoclave steam sterilization.
- Assembling routine or specialist instrument trays and other sterilized supplies.
- Examining and testing medical equipment for malfunctions, faulty gauges, and leaks, as well as worn or loose parts.
- Requesting equipment repairs or replacements in a timely manner.
- Assisting with medical equipment deliveries, installation, and calibration.
- Stocking medical carts and monitoring supply expiry dates.
- Operating specialized equipment such as respirators, oxygen support systems, dialysis machines, and laboratory equipment, when required.
- Keeping medical equipment records, including maintenance schedules and sterilization test reports.
- Performing other duties related to the facility on request.
Medical Equipment Preparer Requirements:
- Sterile processing technician certificate, or similar.
- Medical equipment preparer certificate program preferred.
- Two years of experience in a related field.
- Extensive experience in cleaning and sterilizing medical equipment, parts, and instruments.
- Advanced proficiency in installing and operating medical equipment.
- Ability to perform routine maintenance and troubleshoot equipment malfunctions.
- In-depth knowledge of assembling specialized medical supply carts and instrument trays.
- Experience in keeping medical supply and equipment maintenance records.
- Knowledge of best practices in healthcare.
- Willingness to perform other tasks when required.