Mechanical Designer Job Description Template
We are looking for an analytical mechanical designer to create technical drawings for an extensive variety of machines and technical equipment in the manufacturing industry. The mechanical designer’s responsibilities include working on drawings from inception to completion and collaborating with relevant stakeholders during the process.
To be successful as a mechanical designer, you should be able to work closely with project managers, architects, and engineers, and analyze feedback from customers to produce or modify manufacturing systems. A top-notch mechanical designer will be an adept problem solver, have an excellent eye for design, and be willing to work in a team.
Mechanical Designer Responsibilities:
- Meeting with clients to establish their requirements for a new or existing product or mechanical system.
- Travelling to factories or other locations to take measurements and to observe the way productivity is carried out.
- Doing calculations on the prospective machinery prior to completing the technical drawings.
- Working on CAD software, such as AutoCAD, to create drawing specifications in line with the needs of the client.
- Creating designs in accordance with company regulations and client standards and values.
- Creating prototypes, testing them, and analyzing the results.
- Submitting drawings to relevant stakeholders as well as production or construction teams.
- Providing support during the entire building process to ensure that the design specifications are met.
- Analyzing problems that may arise during the manufacturing process and recommending solutions.
Mechanical Designer Requirements:
- A bachelor’s degree in mechanical technology or mechanical engineering which has been approved by the accreditation board for engineering and technology (ABET).
- Licensure as a professional engineer (PE), which includes engineering knowledge, supervised work experience in the field, and passing examinations.
- A pass in the fundamentals of engineering (FE) exam.
- Experience in computer-aided design software such as AutoCAD.
- At least 2-4 years of working experience.
- Experience as a supervisor.
- An ability to create industry-specific products.
- Top-notch verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong problem-solving skills and an excellent understanding of mathematics.
- Flexibility and a willingness to adapt to and embrace changes.