Long Haul Truck Drivers drive truck and trailer combination vehicles over long distances to deliver products, livestock, or materials. They oversee freight loading, ensure that freight weight limits are not exceeded, and properly secure the freight to prevent damage. They are also required to coordinate deliveries with dispatchers.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Long Haul Truck Driver Job Description Template
We are seeking a highly capable Long Haul Truck Driver to deliver freight across the country. Your duties will include route planning, ensuring the safe and timeous delivery of our freight, and performing minor maintenance work on the truck. You are also required to maintain a detailed trip logbook.
To be successful as a Long Haul Truck Driver, you should possess extensive experience in long-distance truck driving and the ability to stay alert for extended periods. Ultimately, a first-class Long Haul Truck Driver is committed to delivering freight in a safe and timely manner.
Long Haul Truck Driver Responsibilities:
- Delivering freight over long distances across the country's road networks.
- Planning routes efficiently and delivering freight on time.
- Performing prescribed truck inspections before departure to ensure good running order.
- Documenting the freight's condition before departure and inventorizing loads.
- Securing the freight in place before departure and monitoring its safe distribution throughout the trip.
- Supervising the loading and unloading of freight, and obtaining the client's signature on delivery.
- Performing service checks on tire pressure, oil, and fluid levels, as well as minor repairs, when required.
- Logging hours and distances driven, rest stop durations, as well as all fuel, repair, and toll expenses.
- Communicating any delays due to road conditions, accidents, or breakdowns to dispatchers.
- Complying with federal and state trucking rules and regulations, including mandatory rest periods and weight restrictions.
Long Haul Truck Driver Requirements:
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Applicable Commercial Driver's License (CDL).
- Certificate of Completion of a professional truck driving course preferred.
- 5 years of experience as a Long Haul Truck Driver.
- A clean driving record, as well as sound knowledge of truck maintenance.
- In-depth knowledge of route planning, using both road maps and GPS devices.
- The ability to work long, irregular hours, and to remain focused throughout.
- Exceptional time management and problem-solving skills.
- Knowledge of federal and state laws that regulate the road freight transport industry.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
Similar Job Descriptions
Related Hiring Resources