Locomotive Engineers are responsible for driving freight or passenger trains safely between stations. Their job is to inspect the locomotive before use, operate the train using manual and computer controls, and monitor the instruments such as train speed, battery use, and air pressure.
Locomotive Engineer Job Description Template
We are looking to hire an experienced Locomotive Engineer to safely operate our commuter trains. As a Locomotive Engineer, you will be responsible for inspecting the locomotive before and after use, safely operating the train between stations, and communicating with traffic control. You may also be required to communicate with the passengers about delays and diagnose minor breakdowns.
To ensure success as a Locomotive Engineer, you should have in-depth knowledge of locomotive electrical and mechanical systems, as well as good problem-solving and communication skills. A top-notch Locomotive Engineer is reliable and even-tempered with advanced mechanical and electrical skills.
Locomotive Engineer Responsibilities:
- Performing inspections on the locomotive before and after runs.
- Safely operating the train between stations.
- Identifying obstructions and giving warning signals at track crossings.
- Monitoring on-board meters and gauges including air pressure, battery charge, amperage, and train speed.
- Communicating with traffic control concerning stops, oncoming trains, and delays.
- Troubleshooting minor breakdowns.
- Performing basic locomotive maintenance when required.
- Communication with passengers about delays and unscheduled stops.
- Ensuring logbooks and manuals are correctly stowed in the cabin.
- Completing reports on delays and breakdowns.
Locomotive Engineer Requirements:
- High school diploma or GED.
- Class 1 certification.
- NORAC Rules certification.
- 240 certification.
- Previous work experience as a Locomotive Engineer.
- Advanced knowledge of mechanical and electrical locomotive systems.
- Excellent diagnostic skills.
- In-depth area knowledge including road crossings, track curves, and tunnels.
- Ability to concentrate for long periods.
- Basic mechanical skills.
Similar Job Descriptions
Related Hiring Resources