Train Conductors may work onboard passenger or freight trains to ensure that day-to-day train operations run smoothly. On passenger trains, they collect passengers' tickets or ticket payments, supervise the boarding and disembarking of passengers, and relay important information to the Locomotive Engineer.
Train Conductor Job Description Template
We are looking to employ a dedicated and experienced Train Conductor to lead our onboard support staff and ensure that all safety regulations are adhered to. The Train Conductor’s responsibilities include assisting passengers to board the train as required, answering passengers' travel-related questions, as well as preparing reports on irregular train activities, accidents, and unscheduled stops. You should also be able to help passengers evacuate the train in the event of an emergency.
To be successful as a Train Conductor, you should be observant, alert, and adept at handling passengers' concerns. Ultimately, an outstanding Train Conductor should be able to communicate effectively with crew members and passengers as well as demonstrate excellent problem-solving and customer service skills.
Train Conductor Responsibilities:
- Separating or adding additional train cars as directed.
- Notifying the Locomotive Engineer of when to depart from the station, stop, or slow down using the onboard intercom system or hand signals.
- Verifying that all passengers have tickets to board the train and receiving payments from passengers who wish to purchase tickets.
- Collaborating with Railroad Engineers, Yardmasters, and onboard staff to coordinate daily activities, which include task delegation and employee training.
- Using the public address system to notify passengers of any conditions that may affect scheduled travel times.
- Monitoring onboard activities to maintain order and control.
- Taking note of and reporting any problems with the interior of the train that may affect passengers' safety and comfort.
- Supervising the boarding and exiting of passengers onto and off the train.
- Assisting passengers in locating onboard bathroom facilities.
Train Conductor Requirements:
- High school diploma or GED.
- Certified as a Train Conductor by the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA).
- Proven experience working as a Train Conductor.
- Sound knowledge of railway procedures.
- The ability to stand for extended periods.
- Strong problem-solving and decision-making skills.
- Effective communication skills.
- Exceptional customer service skills.
- Good hand-eye coordination and hearing.
Similar Job Descriptions
Related Hiring Resources