Locomotive Engineers inspect and operate passenger or freight trains. They are responsible for inspecting the locomotive before use, operating the train between stations, and communicating with traffic control.
When interviewing Locomotive Engineers, the ideal candidate will have advanced knowledge of locomotive electrical and mechanical systems, good communication skills, and the ability to concentrate for long periods. Be wary of candidates with poor diagnostic skills and those with health issues.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Interview Questions for Locomotive Engineers:
1. What skills do you think Locomotive Engineers need to be successful?
Highlights the mechanical and conducting skills of the candidate.
2. How would you ensure all areas of the locomotive have been inspected before use?
Reveals knowledge of system procedures and locomotive mechanics.
3. How would you diagnose an electrical fault with a locomotive?
Shows the candidate’s electrical systems knowledge and troubleshooting skills.
4. Why is it important to have geographic knowledge of the train routes?
Reveals knowledge of proper train conducting techniques.
5. Tell me about a time when you performed minor repairs or maintenance on a locomotive in a breakdown situation?
Tests the candidate’s skills and previous work experience.
Similar Interview Questions
Related Hiring Resources