Also called clerical library assistants, library clerks help librarians by mainly sorting, shelving and cataloging various library materials such as books, magazines, newspapers and multimedia resources.
Library Clerk Job Description Template
We are looking for a detail-oriented library clerk with great people skills, a good memory, and a knack for research. Library clerks can expect to check books and other materials in and out of the library, work with audio-visual equipment from time to time, and assist in buying and cataloging library resources. Other responsibilities include repairing damaged books, sending out overdue notices, helping visitors find what they need, and setting up book displays.
Successful library clerks should have excellent memorization, organization and research skills, and a kind, friendly demeanor. Ideal candidates will have a passion for reading and learning, good English, math and computer skills, and some experience.
Library Clerk Responsibilities:
- Updating databases and files.
- Sorting and Shelving books.
- Registering new patrons.
- Buying and cataloging new materials.
- Maintaining records and sending overdue notices.
- Checking in and out various library materials.
- Assisting patrons wherever necessary.
Library Clerk Requirements:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Research and memorization skills.
- English, math and computer skills.
- Attention to detail.
- On-the-job training.
Similar Job Descriptions
Related Hiring Resources