A Legal Secretary improves attorney efficiency by providing administrative support in a law firm. Also referred to as a legal assistant, these professionals play a crucial role in a law office, preparing court documents, maintaining attorney calendars, and typing court minutes.
Legal Secretary Job Description Template:
Our law firm is seeking a professional Legal Secretary to oversee a range of administrative and secretarial tasks. As the Legal Secretary, your principal goal is to support attorneys by performing a range of clerical duties including attending court proceedings, researching case information, scheduling meetings, and filing legal documents.
In addition to being an excellent written and verbal communicator, the ideal candidate will be polite and professional. To be successful in this role, you should possess an in-depth knowledge of legal procedures and terminology.
- Provide secretarial support to one or more lawyers at the firm.
- Edit and proofread all legal documents.
- Maintain attorney calendar by scheduling conferences, depositions, and meetings.
- Welcome clients and conduct initial screenings of new clients.
- Go to court proceedings and type minutes.
- Organize all legal documents and ensure they are updated.
- Ensure all court documents are in order and filed before deadlines.
- Answer emails and phone calls, and when necessary, redirect calls.
- Research and authenticate important case information.
- Prepare different legal documents including appeals, motions, and petitions.
- High school diploma or equivalent qualification required.
- Associate degree in legal studies or related field.
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience in a similar role.
- In-depth knowledge of legal documents and terminology.
- Skilled with MS Office.
- Excellent time-management and organizational skills.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
Similar Job Descriptions
Related Hiring Resources