A job description template details the specific requirements, responsibilities, job duties, and skills required to perform a role. It also includes a list of common day-to-day tasks, equipment or tools used, who the role reports to, and overall goals.
Completely free trial, no card required.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Job Description Template Sample Download:
Download this job description template in Word and have a job description created in just a few minutes.
A great job description template should make it simple to list job duties and responsibilities for every job in your company. Our job description format is great for describing a position internally and can be used as the basis to create a job posting template as well.
Job Description Sample Template.
Formal position title.
Reports To: The [job title] will report to [positions title or titles this position reports to].
Job Overview: Provide a brief, 4-sentence description of the role, what success in the position looks like, and how it fits into the company or organization overall.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- List the essential duties required to carry out this job.
- List them in order of importance.
- Use complete sentences.
- Start sentences with verbs.
- Use the present tense.
- Use gender-neutral language.
- Education level.
- Specific skills.
- Personal characteristics.
- Physical abilities.
How to Write a Job Description:
- Use an accurate job title.
- Write a brief summary paragraph that provides an overview of the job.
- Define what success looks like in the position after 30 days, the first quarter, and the first year.
- Write only the job responsibilities that are necessary for this job, not every job.
- List essential qualifications.
- Have someone proofread it.
- Get HR and the hiring manager to sign off on it.
- Publish it where employees can get easy access to it.
Job Description Template FAQs:
Any advice for writing a job description for a job I've never done?
Writing job descriptions when you've never done the job can be a bit intimidating. You'll want to be sure to talk to anyone at your company who is more familiar with the job, especially for help writing the description of responsibilities. You can also check out our job descriptions we've created for hundreds of jobs that will get you started with a sample job description format.
What's your advice on how to write a good job description?
Creating a job description that has positive results comes down to setting expectations. Clearly define what is expected of the employee at different intervals, such as first 30 days, 90 days, 180 days, and first year. Make this part of your sample job description template across your company to get everyone creating job descriptions that set expectations.
Do you know how to create a job description in PDF format?
You can start with our job description template Word format download. Click "File" and select "Save As." Then look where it says "File Format:" and select "PDF," then click "Export."
We've also got job posting templates that are aimed at helping you write descriptions that attract potential employees on job boards.