Forest Rangers assist in preserving forests by maintaining public lands, campgrounds, roads and trails, and by helping with preventing and fighting fires. A Forest Ranger advises landowners and lumber industry representatives on forestry matters, and offers educational programs.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Forest Ranger Job Description Template
We are looking to hire a conservation-minded Forest Ranger to assist us with managing and preserving our state's forests. The Forest Ranger will oversee hazard reduction burning, assist in preventing, detecting and fighting fires, and maintain and transport firefighting equipment. You will investigate smoke complaints, and probe causes of wildfires by collecting evidence and interviewing witnesses. You will issue notifications of violations, and create awareness of fire prevention in public forums.
To ensure success you need to have proficient knowledge of fauna and flora of the region, and make prudent decisions regarding protecting these. Ideal candidates are of good moral character, physically fit and have outstanding communication skills.
Forest Ranger Responsibilities:
- Overseeing use of state land for recreational and other purposes.
- Preserving public amenities such as roads, campgrounds and trails.
- Protecting threatened and endangered fauna and flora.
- Assisting in preparing fire lines, and performing fire detection through ground patrol or tower staffing.
- Collecting tree seeds, and lifting and planting tree seedlings.
- Educating and informing the public and private forest owners on forestry and environmental matters.
- Maintaining forest inventory by tree marking.
- Maintaining vehicles, and forestry and firefighting equipment.
- Responding to emergencies, and participating in search and rescue missions.
- Compiling and completing reports.
Forest Ranger Requirements:
- High School Diploma, GED, or suitable equivalent.
- Completion of criminal background investigation, fingerprint check and medical examination.
- Submission of sworn affidavit to confirm no usage of tobacco or related products.
- Commercial driver’s license, and ability to maintain and repair vehicles.
- Proficient knowledge of fire laws and regulations.
- Proficient computer skills.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Good moral character.
- Physically fit and strong, with sound navigational skills.
- Undeterred by working during extreme weather conditions, on rough terrain, and in hazardous and dangerous conditions, and available to work extended hours and on short notice.
Similar Job Descriptions
Related Hiring Resources