Fitters may work in the auto, aircraft, manufacturing, or mining industry where they are responsible for fitting, fabricating, and assembling the structural components that make up mechanical systems. They also repair and service machinery as required.
Fitter Job Description Template
We are looking to hire a hard-working and skilled Fitter to fabricate, fit, and assemble the structural components of various mechanical systems. The Fitter's responsibilities include keeping accurate records of all maintenance work done, repairing malfunctioning mechanical systems, and evening out any rough spots on the fabricated components using grinders, hand files, and scrapers. You should also be able to collaborate with other Fitters on large-scale projects.
To be successful as a Fitter, you should be detail-oriented, focused, and adept at interpreting blueprints. Ultimately, an exceptional Fitter should be able to safely use hand and power tools as well as demonstrate excellent analytical, problem-solving, and organizational skills.
- Analyzing the blueprints for mechanical systems to determine the specifications of the components to be constructed.
- Constructing structural components from raw materials.
- Using welding equipment to fuse structural components.
- Inspecting fabricated components to ensure that they are the correct size.
- Utilizing shears, power saws, cutting torches, and chipper knives to cut structural components as needed.
- Creating a suitable maintenance schedule and performing system maintenance accordingly.
- Conducting diagnostic testing on malfunctioning systems to determine the root cause of the malfunction.
- Replacing damaged or defective structural components as needed.
- Adhering to all work-site safety rules and regulations.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Appropriate state certification.
- Proven experience working as a Fitter.
- Sound knowledge of local and state building codes.
- The ability to use hand and power tools.
- The ability to interpret blueprints for mechanical systems.
- The ability to concentrate for extended periods.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent communication, time management, and organizational skills.
- Exceptional welding and mechanical skills.
Similar Job Descriptions
Related Hiring Resources