Also known as Financial Comptrollers or Chief Accounting Officers, Financial Controllers are tasked with directing daily accounting operations, promoting compliance, budgeting, risk management, publishing financial statements, and analyzing financial data.
The ideal candidate must possess strong analytical skills, strategic planning skills, auditing experience, and outstanding communication skills. Be wary of candidates with poor working knowledge of spreadsheets and databases, lack of communication skills, or poor knowledge of accounting best practices.
Financial Controller Interview Questions
1. How do you monitor and measure financial performance?
Look for candidates that employ good finance monitoring techniques. Candidates should also demonstrate good analytical skills.
2. How would you apply cost-reduction strategies while maintaining organizational efficiency and good service to clients?
Look for candidates that demonstrate good strategic thinking skills without compromising overall business objectives.
3. Which financial software do you normally use?
Look for candidates that use the same or similar software to your organization. Also, candidates should demonstrate proficiency in working with different software programs.
4. What are the key elements to successful financial planning and budgeting?
Look for candidates that demonstrate an ability to prioritize activities that support overall business goals. Also, candidates should demonstrate their talent for crunching numbers.
5. How do you balance conflicting interests in organizational finances?
Look for candidates that demonstrate diplomacy and conflict resolution skills. Also, candidates should demonstrate an ability to balance departmental needs against overall organizational needs.
Similar Interview Questions
Related Hiring Resources