File Clerk Job Description Template
We are looking to hire a conscientious File Clerk to ensure our organization's records are correctly sequenced and filed, and to capture tracking information in electronic databases. The File Clerk gathers documentation from internal departments, and codes material chronologically, numerically, alphabetically, and by subject matter. You will store hard copies of documents such invoices, receipts and forms, and create new files. You will retrieve information on request, ensure records are returned to appropriate locations, and request records from other external locations.
To ensure success you should have proficient understanding of the importance of accurate filling, and maintain an accurate record-keeping system. Preferred candidates are focused, organized and thorough.
File Clerk Responsibilities:
- Collecting documentation from various sources.
- Assessing, organizing and coding documentation.
- Creating and updating files, and filing documentation in appropriate files.
- Destroying outdated files following protocol, or moving these to inactive storage.
- Scanning files regularly to ensure their correct positions and to search for missing records.
- Retrieving records on request and forwarding these to relevant parties.
- Making copies of and delivering records.
- Executing authorized changes to filing system.
- Assisting with phone inquiries.
- Receiving and forwarding mail and courier packages.
File Clerk Requirements:
- High school diploma, GED, or suitable equivalent.
- 1+ years work experience in similar position.
- Proficient with using computers, and MS Office Word and Excel.
- Proficient with using photocopy and facsimile machines.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of information.
- Outstanding communication skills, both verbal and written.