A Draftsman is a skilled professional who draws plans for buildings and machines. Draftsmen can be employed in different fields, and work closely with other professionals like architects, engineers, and scientists. They must be able to follow specifications and are typically trained in the computer-aided design and drafting (CADD) processes.
Draftsman Job Description Template
We are looking for a self-motivated Draftsman who can work alongside a number of specialists at our company. The Draftsman will form part of a multidisciplinary engineering team, and should be comfortable working at an adjustable table as well as a computer terminal. You will usually work at our offices, but will at times need to fulfill travel requirements and work on-site.
To be successful as a Draftsman, you should stay up-to-date with new drafting software and advancements. An exceptional draftsman will demonstrate impeccable attention to detail and have sound knowledge of the discipline they draft for.
- Following specifications and calculations to create various technical drawings.
- Preparing both rough sketches and detailed work with CADD systems.
- Performing calculations for materials and weight limitations.
- Communicating with architects and engineers, and incorporating knowledge gained into drawings.
- Preparing, reviewing and redrafting alongside the engineering team.
- Ensuring final designs are compliant with building regulations.
- Identifying and communicating potential design problems to the rest of the team.
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering or Architecture.
- Degree from a technical college also acceptable.
- Experience in computer-aided design and drafting (CADD).
- Ability to draw manually favorable, but not essential.
- Ability to work well in a team and on your own.
- Ability to respond well to criticism and maintain a positive attitude.
Similar Job Descriptions
Related Hiring Resources