Director of Photography Job Description Template
We are looking for visually creative candidates with expertise in camera work and lighting equipment. The director of photography is responsible for ordering and testing camera and lighting equipment, supervising a camera and lighting crew and editing a film's visual elements in post production, among other duties.
Photography directors need to work alongside a film director and help determine narrative elements through visual style.
Director of Photography Responsibilities:
- Developing a film's visual style.
- Determining lighting requirements on set.
- Deciding on the best camera angles and frames for scenes.
- Ordering and testing lighting and camera equipment.
- Supervising a camera crew and directing camera movement.
- Selecting the appropriate film stock.
- Determining camera aperture settings.
- Controlling natural or artificial lighting conditions.
- Liaising with electricians to ensure adequate electrical supply.
- Determining elements such as filters, shutter angles, focus, depth of field and camera distance.
- Editing visual elements in post production.
Director of Photography Requirements:
- Degree in film, art or photography advantageous.
- A reel of visual work.
- Creative visual thinking.
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Good organizational skills.
- Good technical camera operating skills.