A Director of Nursing (DON) manages the services provided by the nursing personnel of a healthcare facility. Also referred to as a Nursing Director, their many duties include overseeing the nursing personnel and patient care, as well as administrative tasks such as record keeping and budgeting.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Director of Nursing Job Description Template:
Our healthcare facility is on the hunt for a qualified Director of Nursing to lead and oversee our nursing department. As Director of Nursing, your central goal will be to develop a collaborative and efficient workplace with specific attention to quality patient care.
You will perform a range of duties including maintaining department budgets, setting long-term goals, and overseeing record-keeping processes. The ideal candidate for this position has proven experience in a nursing leadership role, outstanding organizational skills, and in-depth knowledge of healthcare industry policies.
- Manage and lead all nursing personnel operations.
- Develop short and long-term goals for the entire nursing department.
- Establish new policies and update existing policies to improve the standard of care for patients.
- Plan and oversee admission, nursing, and patient care processes.
- Maintain department budgets and record all expenses.
- Respond to any nursing-related issues in a timely manner.
- Coordinate with medical staff and other departments to ensure hospital efficiency.
- Oversee all record-keeping processes and ensure all necessary documents are accurate and up-to-date.
- Hire and train new nursing staff members.
- Evaluate staff performance and prepare accurate reports detailing your findings.
- Bachelor’s degree in Nursing, Healthcare Administration or a relevant field.
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience in a similar role.
- In-depth knowledge of legal policies and regulations in the healthcare industry.
- Certified nursing and CPR qualifications.
- Aptitude for problem-solving.
- Excellent leadership and interpersonal skills.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.