Database Administrator Job Description Template
We are seeking to hire a technically skilled database administrator that is capable of holding positions of great responsibility. In this role, you'll be the first respondent to database problems that arise and carry out periodic maintenance and troubleshooting.
To ensure success as a database administrator, you should be an excellent problem-solver and communicator that is fluent in most data manipulation languages. Ultimately, a top-notch database administrator should have extensive knowledge of the databases under their administration and display sound technical skills and administrative aptitude.
Database Administrator Responsibilities:
- Monitoring system performance and identifying problems that arise.
- Responding in a timely manner to user-reported errors.
- Protecting the database against threats or unauthorized access.
- Ensuring that the database is adequately backed up and able to be recovered in the event of memory loss.
- Reporting on metrics regarding usage and performance.
- Suggesting changes and improvements for database maintenance or protection.
- Regularly liaising with IT project managers and database programmers.
- Designing databases with both front-end and back-end users in mind.
Database Administrator Requirements:
- A bachelor's degree in computer science or a related field.
- Advanced certification as an MCDBA or MCSD for .NET is advantageous.
- A minimum of 3 years' experience as a database administrator.
- Proficiency in data manipulation languages, including MS SQL, Oracle Database, Hadoop, or PostgreSQL.
- Analytical mindset and good problem-solving skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Highly organized and responsible.
- Capable of working under pressure.
- Up-to-date with trends and developments in database administration.