Cost Accountant Job Description Template
We are looking to hire a Cost Accountant with excellent organizational and analytical skills. Cost accountants are expected to be detailed oriented, knowledgeable on statistics, have strong problem-solving skills, work comfortably under pressure, and deliver on tight deadlines.
To ensure success, Cost accountants should be confident, professional, and meticulous with a keen interest in the cost-efficient operations of the organization. Top candidates will have outstanding presentation and report-writing skills, with the ability to work on their own initiative and as part of a team.
Cost Accountant Responsibilities:
- Develop and maintain the cost accounting system, documents, and records of the organization.
- Analyze and recommend costs and cost savings.
- Prepare and complete internal cost audits.
- Comply with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) for financial statements.
- Analyze the data collected and log a detailed record of the results.
- Analyze any changes in goods or services provided in order to determine what effect it has on the cost.
- Analyze manufacturing costs and prepare regular reports comparing standard costs to actual production costs.
- Make estimates of new and proposed product costs.
- Provide management with reports that specify and compare factors that affect prices and profitability of products or services.
- Assist in audits and general ledger preparation.
- Conduct physical inventories and monitor the cycle count program.
Cost Accountants Requirements:
- Bachelors degree in accounting or related field (essential).
- International Accounting Standards Board (IASB) accreditation (essential).
- Certified public accountant (CPA) license (essential).
- 2 years of Cost Accounting work experience (essential).
- Sound understanding of accounting principles.
- Solid cost systems background.
- Analytical thinker with strong conceptual and problem-solving skills.
- Meticulous attention to detail with superb organizational skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent report-writing, communication, and IT skills.