Correctional Treatment Specialists work alongside Parole Officers to reintegrate inmates into society upon their release from prison. Their job is to provide education, employment plans, and counseling to the inmates to give them the best chance of becoming fully functional citizens.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Correctional Treatment Specialist Job Description Template
We are looking for a compassionate and dedicated Correctional Treatment Specialist to provide inmates with the necessary skills and knowledge needed to reintegrate into society upon release from prison. In this role, you will be responsible for providing inmates with counseling and educational plans to facilitate a smooth transition into society. You will also be required to prepare character reports and attend parole meetings to discuss whether inmates are emotionally and socially ready to be released.
To ensure success as a Correctional Treatment Specialist, you should be compassionate, emotionally stable, and willing to work with difficult personalities. Ultimately, a top-class Correctional Treatment Specialist should be approachable but firm, providing guidance and support to ensure that the system works as intended.
Correctional Treatment Specialist Responsibilities:
- Observing the behavior of inmates to assess their willingness to adhere to parole conditions.
- Providing inmates with career and life counseling in preparation for their integration into society.
- Providing inmates with basic education and employment plans for when they are released.
- Studying case files and incarceration reports to assess inmates' behavior profiles.
- Helping inmates to find relevant educational programs once they are released.
- Consulting with Parole and Probation Officers to discuss inmates' psychological and social progress.
- Interviewing inmates and writing up reports that may be used to determine if an inmate is granted parole.
- Assisting soon-to-be-released inmates with day-to-day activities.
Correctional Treatment Specialist Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Behavioral Science, Psychology, Criminal Justice, or similar field.
- Rehabilitation Counselor certification.
- Previous experience working as a Correctional Treatment Specialist.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to read emotions and body language.
- Compassionate and patient.
- Ability to work with criminals in a correctional facility or prison environment.
- Advanced interviewing skills.
- Analytical and level-headed.
- Ability to write and present case reports.
Similar Job Descriptions
Related Hiring Resources