Construction Inspector Job Description Template
We are looking to hire an upstanding construction inspector to inspect buildings, bridges, highways, streets, dams, water systems, and sewers—including foundations, plumbing, and electrical circuits—to establish structural soundness. The construction inspector will inspect heating, ventilation, air conditioning, and refrigeration (HVACR) systems as well. The construction inspector will identify environmental hazards such as deficient air and water quality. You will inspect existing structures that have been impacted by natural disasters, such as earthquakes and floods. You will issue violation notices and stop-work orders, where necessary, and liaise with stakeholders regarding remedial action.
To ensure success in this role, you will apply your knowledge of engineering fundamentals and safety regulations to ensure the soundness of building structures. Top candidates will be of unimpeachable integrity, detail-oriented, and assertive.
Construction Inspector Responsibilities:
- Attending pre-construction meetings where necessary.
- Evaluating plans and specifications for construction projects to ensure conformance with regulations.
- Conducting field inspections to inspect standards of building structures and materials.
- Conducting field and laboratory tests on materials to measure compliance with regulations.
- Issuing of violation notices and stop-work orders where structures and materials do not comply with regulations.
- Referring deviations and disagreements to city engineer for clarification.
- Maintaining records of documentation.
- Conducting inspections of existing structures following natural disasters and other events that could compromise the integrity of existing structures.
- Assisting City staff and the public with inquiries.
- Attending close-out meetings of construction projects.
Construction Inspector Requirements:
- Engineering degree or suitable alternative.
- 2+ years experience as a construction inspector.
- Trained in confined space and OSHA construction safety.
- Proficient knowledge of fall protection and work zone safety.
- ACI certification.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Strong communication skills.
- Available to work shifts and over weekends.
- Ability to work in confined spaces.