Building Inspectors determine the structural soundness of buildings and construction projects. They are tasked with inspecting and assessing the structural quality of a building and ensuring compliance with zoning regulations, national building codes, and contract specifications.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Building Inspector Job Description Template
We are looking to hire a qualified Building Inspector for construction and building inspections. As a Building Inspector, you will be required to conduct inspections before, during, and after construction to ensure that the building and construction site complies with safety, structural, and building code regulations. You will also be required to issue violation notices, stop-work orders, and permits for construction.
To ensure success as a Building Inspector, you should have advanced engineering and construction knowledge, a keen eye for detail, and the ability to make difficult decisions. Ultimately, a top-class Building Inspector quickly spots safety and structural issues and can make clear decisions without emotional influences.
Building Inspector Responsibilities:
- Conducting land surveys prior to construction.
- Reviewing blueprints and building plans.
- Checking foundation depth and the strength of construction materials.
- Inspecting the building structure, plumbing, electrical, sewerage, and heating systems for safety and specification compliance.
- Examining cranes and other lifting equipment.
- Maintaining daily construction logs and ensuring that the construction site adheres to all safety codes.
- Measuring dimensions to verify alignment, elevation, and leveling of the building.
- Monitoring plumbing, heating, and electrical installations.
- Issuing of violation notices and stop-work orders.
- Signing and issuing construction and occupation permits.
Building Inspector Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Architecture or Building Inspection Technology.
- Proven work experience as a Building Inspector.
- Knowledge of construction design techniques.
- Knowledge of construction materials, plumbing, electrical systems, heating systems, and sewerage systems.
- Advanced mathematical skills.
- Ability to make difficult decisions.
- Ability to read and understand blueprints and construction designs.
- Ability to travel and work irregular hours.
- A good eye for detail.
Similar Job Descriptions
Related Hiring Resources