Building Inspectors assess buildings and construction projects for compliance with zoning regulations, structural soundness, and safety regulations. They are responsible for approving building plans and occupancy clearances, issuing violations, and issuing stop-work orders if required.
When interviewing Building Inspectors, the most suitable candidate will have a strong background in engineering, a keen eye for detail, and the ability to make impartial decisions. Be wary of candidates with limited design knowledge and those who are unable to travel extensively.
Interview Questions for Building Inspectors:
1. What techniques would you use to find irregularities with construction design and measurement?
Reveals in-depth knowledge of the building process and highlights the candidate’s attention to detail.
2. How would you assess the safety and cleanliness of a construction site?
Demonstrates an understanding of safety regulations and site maintenance.
3. What structural or electrical fault would warrant issuing a stop-work order?
Indicates an understanding of engineering and electrical processes.
4. How do you ensure your emotions do not interfere with the approval process?
Demonstrates the candidate’s ability to make impartial decisions.
5. How would you deal with clients that do not accept your decision?
Demonstrates the candidate’s interpersonal skills.
Similar Interview Questions
Related Hiring Resources