Civil Rights Job Description Template
We are seeking a passionate civil rights attorney with exceptional negotiation and communication skills. The civil rights attorney will provide counsel to clients, inform them about their legal options, and represent them in court. You will also draft legal documents, conduct research, negotiate settlements and file appeals.
To excel as a civil rights attorney, you should have empathy for people and demonstrate a genuine interest in fighting for those whose rights have been violated. The chosen candidate will be a team-player, persuasive, resilient and have excellent analytical and research skills.
Civil Rights Attorney Responsibilities:
- Communicating with clients about their needs and providing them with legal advice.
- Developing and applying sound strategies to resolve cases favorably.
- Arguing cases in court and handling any problems that may arise.
- Keeping clients up to date about the case and any positive or negative outcomes.
- Effectively communicating with clients, judges, and litigators about case material.
- Conducting research and analyzing evidence to support the case.
- Preparing and conducting depositions.
- Filing motions, legal appeals, and briefs in a timely manner.
- Negotiating settlements.
Civil Rights Attorney Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in a related field.
- Juris Doctor Law degree from an American Bar Association accredited law school.
- Relevant experience or expertise in a specific interest group may be preferred.
- Comply with local, state and federal laws and behaving ethically.
- Strong communication skills (written and verbal).
- Strong critical thinking, analytical and public speaking skills.
- Ability to work autonomously or with a team of attorneys.
- Occasional travel required.