City Planner Job Description Template
We are looking for a forward-thinking city planner to develop plans that plot out the best use of land and geographic resources in urban areas. The city planner is responsible for planning resource-efficient urban infrastructures that will be long-lasting and sustainable.
To be successful as a city planner you must be able to study a city's population and current use of land through surveys, field investigations, and other research methods.
City Planner Responsibilities:
- Planning the design and construction of new urban infrastructures.
- Assisting in the management of a city’s current infrastructure and urban resources.
- Designing and adapting city plans for population growth and development.
- Keeping communities informed of city planning developments.
- Recommending the most suitable placement of various urban infrastructures, such as schools or roads.
- Helping draft legislation pertaining to land use and development.
- Ensuring the environment is protected throughout the planning and urban development process.
- Suggesting and implementing zoning regulations for private properties, within urban areas.
- Using computer software applications to assist the planning process, including mapping land areas, forecasting planning and development costs, and predicting trends, such as population growth.
- Preparing reports that detail the location and characteristics of different urban infrastructures, as well as population factors.
- Holding public meetings with government officials, land developers, lawyers, special interest groups, and the general public to address issues regarding urban land use and development.
City Planner Requirements:
- Master's degree in urban or regional planning, environmental planning, urban design, or a related field preferred.
- Previous experience working as a city planner.
- Certification with The American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP), preferred.
- Member of the American Planning Association (APA), preferred.
- Superb project management skills.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experienced at using Adobe Creative Suite programs, such as Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign.
- Working knowledge of web-based mapping platforms, such as CartoDB and Mapbox.
- Ability to generate high-quality graphics, diagrams, maps, sketches, and/or renderings.
- Detailed knowledge of the principles behind new urbanism, transit-oriented development, and complete street design.