Calligrapher Job Description Template
We are searching for a reliable, innovative calligrapher to join our team. The calligrapher’s responsibilities include understanding client specifications and selecting appropriate materials for the job, researching and practicing different fonts and styles, and completing layouts and timeframes. You should have knowledge of different ink, tools, and paper types.
To be successful as a calligrapher, you should constantly be expanding your knowledge of calligraphy styles and be willing to put in hours of practice. Outstanding candidates are skilled in the use of different tools and unafraid to experiment and mix different media.
- Understanding client briefs and using a wide variety of inks, brushes, paper, card, stencils, and other writing implements to complete projects.
- Keeping nibs, brushes, inks, and workspaces clean and tidy.
- Establishing a portfolio of writing styles and projects for clients to peruse.
- Using calligraphy markers and pencil to prepare layouts and drafts.
- Using dotted paper to complete regular calligraphy drills.
- Conducting research on both modern and traditional calligraphy and drawing on new and ancient techniques to complete projects.
- Regularly inspecting inks to ensure they are free of air bubbles and debris, and ensuring all nibs are clean and free of rust.
- Developing a digital portfolio to attract online clients.
- Liaising with clients and politely answering all queries.
- Providing project timeframes and contacting the relevant parties as soon as issues arise.
- Degree in visual art, typography, history or a related discipline may be required.
- Great artistic and creative skills.
- A strong calligraphy portfolio would be advantageous.
- Excellent communication and marketing abilities.
- Strong manual dexterity and discipline.
- Resilient self-starter with a positive attitude.