Also called Science Teachers, Biology Teachers work in middle schools or high schools, helping students learn about the origin, distribution, structure, and function of all living organisms. They create engaging lessons in the various subfields of Biology, like Genetics and Zoology, and also handle admin tasks and supervise experiments.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Biology Teacher Job Description Template
We are searching for a reliable and passionate Biology Teacher to join our faculty. The Biology Teacher’s responsibilities include preparing lesson plans, tests and assignments, supervising students during investigations and experiments, and acting as a field trip chaperone. You should be able to teach students from different backgrounds, with varying aptitudes and interests.
To be successful as a Biology Teacher, you should be culturally sensitive, well-organized, and demonstrate insatiable curiosity. Outstanding candidates are not squeamish and can confidently explain bodily functions to teenagers.
Biology Teacher Responsibilities:
- Preparing and delivering engaging biology lessons to students from different backgrounds, who all have different interests and abilities.
- Monitoring student performance, and adjusting teaching strategies and techniques for improved content delivery.
- Establishing classroom, laboratory, and field trip rules and ensuring all students understand and accept them.
- Setting up exams, assessments, and experiments in accordance with curriculum requirements and standards of the state and district.
- Communicating any student issues to parents, counselors, and other relevant staff members.
- Attending school events, club meetings, and staff meetings as required.
- Representing the school at conferences, workshops, and other networking events.
- Coming up with suggestions to improve the Biology Department and general school operations.
- Building rapport with students so that they feel comfortable and safe discussing sensitive topics in class.
- Encouraging students to participate in science fairs, competitions, and expos, and preparing them for these events.
Biology Teacher Requirements:
- Degree in Biology or Science.
- Master’s degree preferable.
- Degree in Secondary Education with a focus in Biology also acceptable.
- A completed teaching apprenticeship recommended.
- Relevant teaching license or certification.
- Previous teaching experience would be advantageous.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills.
- Patience, resilience, and cultural sensitivity.
Similar Job Descriptions
Related Hiring Resources