Biology Teacher Job Description Template
We are searching for a reliable and passionate biology teacher to join our faculty. The biology teacher’s responsibilities include preparing lesson plans, tests and assignments, supervising students during investigations and experiments, and acting as a field trip chaperone. You should be able to teach students from different backgrounds, with varying aptitudes and interests.
To be successful as a biology teacher, you should be culturally sensitive, well-organized, and demonstrate insatiable curiosity. Outstanding candidates are not squeamish and can confidently explain bodily functions to teenagers.
Biology Teacher Responsibilities:
- Preparing and delivering engaging biology lessons to students from different backgrounds, who all have different interests and abilities.
- Monitoring student performance, and adjusting teaching strategies and techniques for improved content delivery.
- Establishing classroom, laboratory, and field trip rules and ensuring all students understand and accept them.
- Setting up exams, assessments, and experiments in accordance with curriculum requirements and standards of the state and district.
- Communicating any student issues to parents, counselors, and other relevant staff members.
- Attending school events, club meetings, and staff meetings as required.
- Representing the school at conferences, workshops, and other networking events.
- Coming up with suggestions to improve the Biology Department and general school operations.
- Building rapport with students so that they feel comfortable and safe discussing sensitive topics in class.
- Encouraging students to participate in science fairs, competitions, and expos, and preparing them for these events.
Biology Teacher Requirements:
- Degree in biology or science.
- Master’s degree preferable.
- Degree in secondary education with a focus in biology also acceptable.
- A completed teaching apprenticeship recommended.
- Relevant teaching license or certification.
- Previous teaching experience would be advantageous.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills.
- Patience, resilience, and cultural sensitivity.