Interview Questions for Assistant Superintendents:
1. How do you educate on-site personnel regarding safety procedures and how do you ensure their safety?
The candidate’s answer will demonstrate knowledge of on-site safety requirements and equipment, and the candidate's ability to train personnel.
2. What has been your most challenging project so far, and how did you overcome the challenges?
The answer to this question will give you an indication of the potential hire's approach and attitude towards challenges.
3. In previous projects, how did you introduce suitable alternatives to reduce costs as the need arose?
It is of paramount importance the candidate gives concrete and workable solutions to reduce costs. Listen carefully. You want to feel confident the candidate will be able to complete your project within budget.
4. Could you give me examples of how you resolved disputes between workers during your previous project?
The answer to this question is very important. You don’t want delays in your project due to a lack of teamwork. The potential candidate needs to give examples of resolving disputes amongst workers swiftly and with prudence.
5. Which practical steps would you take to ensure orderliness on-site?
To ensure the project finishes on time and within budget, there has to be orderliness on the site. You want the potential hire to put across sensible steps to ensure orderliness.