Assistant Editor Job Description Template
We are looking for a detail-oriented individual to join our team as the assistant editor. The responsibilities of the assistant editor include collaborating with the editor-in-chief, planning new stories and projects, liaising with team members to meet deadlines, and ensuring all copy is accurate and original.
To be successful as an assistant editor, you should be able to handle all stages of the publication process to deliver unique, informative content. Ultimately, a top-notch assistant editor should be precise, well-written, and an excellent researcher.
Assistant Editor Responsibilities:
- Collaborating with the editor-in-chief to come up with new and original content on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis.
- Working with team members and assigning articles and projects to staff and freelance writers.
- Overseeing writing projects to ensure accurate information and clear stories.
- Reviewing written work for accuracy, sense, content, and readability and making suggestions for improvements.
- Choosing supporting material, including graphs, images, and charts, to complement the written piece.
- Performing research, conducting interviews, and compiling information to write compelling, informative, and engaging articles.
- Proofreading your own articles and projects.
- Using social media and online video clips to support written articles.
- Using search engine optimization (SEO) to guide team members in creating topics of interest.
- Following current events and news to suggest new content.
Assistant Editor Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in communications, journalism, or a related field.
- Experience in editing and publishing.
- Strong working knowledge of publishing tools, such as MS Office and InDesign.
- Experience with SEO and social media platforms.
- Excellent writing and proofreading skills.
- Good attention to detail, communication, and English language skills.
- Great critical thinking, problem-solving, and time management skills.