Upholsterer Job Description Template
We are looking to hire a skilled upholsterer to make and repair upholstery for our clients. In this role, you will be responsible for meeting with the client or design agent, selecting the appropriate materials for the job, and installing the upholstery to meet the desired specifications. You may also be required to dismantle and rebuild furniture in which the upholstery has been replaced.
To ensure success as an upholsterer, you should have in-depth knowledge of modern upholstery techniques, a good eye for detail, and the ability to visualize design ideas. A top-class Upholsterer perfectly translates the ideas of the client into high-quality furnishings.
- Meeting with clients and design agents to discuss upholstery ideas.
- Interpreting design orders and creating upholstery stencils.
- Selecting and sourcing upholstery materials.
- Dismantling furniture for upholstery preparation.
- Measuring and cutting leather or fabric with the aid of design stencils.
- Installing foam and batting to the furniture framework.
- Installing and repairing furniture webbing and seating springs.
- Stretching out and installing fabric or leather coverings.
- Stitching, gluing, and nailing fabric into place.
- Smoothing out imperfections.
- Conducting quality checks on completed orders.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Proven work experience as an upholsterer.
- Excellent design skills.
- Ability to draw and interpret design templates.
- Knowledge of upholstery tools including hot knives, nail guns, and sewing equipment.
- Ability to lift, pull, and manipulate heavy objects.
- Ability to stand, kneel, and walk for up to eight hours a day.