Purchasing Officers source and buy materials, goods, and services on behalf of the employer to be resold or used in daily operations. Purchasing Officers maintain stock levels, and may also conduct research, negotiate with vendors, and interview prospective suppliers.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Purchasing Officer Job Description Template
We are searching for a well-organized Purchasing Officer to join our growing team. As the Purchasing Officer, you will carry out all tasks allocated by the Purchasing Manager, which may include conducting research on potential vendors and suppliers, inspecting goods, and updating records. You should be able to negotiate pricing and transport costs.
To be successful as a Purchasing Officer you should be able to multitask and evaluate products and vendors. Exceptional Purchasing Officers should be smooth negotiators with a keen eye for detail.
Purchasing Officer Responsibilities:
- Conducting product research and sourcing new suppliers and vendors.
- Sourcing materials, goods, products, and services and negotiating the best or most cost-effective contracts and deals.
- Performing inventory inspections and reordering supplies and stock as necessary.
- Conducting market research to keep abreast of emerging trends and business opportunities.
- Inspecting stock and reporting any faulty items or inconsistencies immediately.
- Updating and maintaining records of all orders, payments, and received stock.
- Coordinating with the delivery team and following up on delays or orders that have been rescheduled.
- Attending product launches and networking with industry professionals.
- Establishing professional relationships with clients as well as vendors and suppliers.
- Ensuring all stock is packaged appropriately and delivered to the correct location in a timely manner.
Purchasing Officer Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Logistics, or a related field may be required.
- Previous experience in a similar position.
- Proficiency in the relevant management software programs.
- Superb written and verbal communication and negotiation skills.
- Great organizational and planning skills.
- The ability to identify market trends and make decisions in a high-stress environment.
- The ability to follow client specifications.
- Excellent networking and time management skills.
Similar Job Descriptions
Related Hiring Resources