Plant Operator Job Description Template
We are looking for a plant operator to keep accurate daily records of plant processing equipment to ensure optimal production levels. The plant operator’s responsibilities include regular maintenance of equipment and resolving any operational issues that may arise. You will be required to communicate with contractors, vendors, and co-workers.
To be successful as a plant operator, you must liaise between management and co-workers on operational issues at the facility. A top-notch plant operator will ensure the efficient running of the plant’s equipment and will be able to identify and rectify issues with speed and efficiency.
Plant Operator Responsibilities:
- Monitoring and overseeing plant operations.
- Assisting with startup, shutdown, and operations of facility equipment.
- Identifying problems that arise and resolving them.
- Ensuring that safety and environmental rules and programs are strictly adhered to.
- Conceptualizing and recommending plant improvement strategies.
- Carrying out site inspections and audits.
- Performing preventative and maintenance measures.
- Observing gauges, dials, switches, and alarms, and other indicators to ensure that all machines are working properly.
- Training new hires and cross-training other staff members.
- Maintaining a clean, hazard-free work environment.
Plant Operator Requirements:
- A minimum of a high school diploma or GED.
- Proficiency in math and technical subjects is preferred.
- Previous experience in a manufacturing or industrial setting.
- Extensive on-the-job training.
- An understanding of Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) standards.
- The ability to understand, follow, and apply policies, practices, and operating procedures.
- A proven ability to work independently as well as within a team.
- Working knowledge of Word and Excel.
- Up-to-date maintenance of records and data.
- Commitment to working in an extremely safety-conscious environment.