Phlebotomist Job Description Template
We are looking for a meticulous phlebotomist who will be responsible for drawing blood from patients for diagnostic, donation, or transfusion purposes. They may test the blood specimens themselves or they will be responsible for labeling the specimen vials and arranging transportation of specimens to laboratories for analysis.
In order to be successful as a phlebotomist you will need to be thorough when carrying out your duties, successfully maintain records of blood drawings, and generate reports to submit to physicians and/or other healthcare professionals.
- Identifying patients and their personal information by reviewing their identity documents.
- Assessing patient needs, reviewing patient history, and determining the reason(s) for drawing blood.
- Selecting gauge needles and preparing veins or fingers for blood drawing.
- Extracting blood from patients through venipuncture or fingersticks.
- Analyzing blood specimens using the correct testing equipment, when necessary.
- Preparing specimens for transportation, including labeling vials accurately and matching blood specimens to patients.
- Supplying diagnostic notes to physicians, other healthcare professionals, and hospitals.
- Keeping and maintaining records of patient names, volume of blood drawn, and diagnostic findings.
- Cleaning, maintaining, and calibrating laboratory equipment used in the drawing and testing of blood specimens.
- Ordering laboratory supplies, as needed.
- Diploma in phlebotomy.
- Certification with the American Society of Phlebotomy Technicians, Inc. and/or the National Phlebotomy Association (NPA).
- Proven experience working as a phlebotomist.
- Understanding of proper patient identification methods.
- Knowledge of legal requirements pertaining to drawing blood, handling specimen samples, and the use of relevant medical equipment.
- Experience using effective puncture techniques.
- Knowledge of testing protocols and the use of testing equipment.
- Superb dexterity and hand-eye coordination.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Keen attention to detail.