An Orthopedic Doctor, also known as an Orthopedic Surgeon, specializes in diagnosing and treating injuries or illnesses to the musculoskeletal system. The Orthopedic Doctor will work to repair and preserve the bones, joints, ligaments, and skeleton.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Orthopedic Doctor Job Description Template
We are looking for a skilled Orthopedic Doctor to surgically or therapeutically treat and repair any injuries or illnesses to the musculoskeletal system. The Orthopedic Doctor's responsibilities include setting broken bones with braces, pins, splints, or casts, diagnosing injuries or illnesses to bones, joints, and ligaments, and correcting defects to the musculoskeletal system. An Orthopedic Doctor may specialize in one area of the body, such as the spine, or in one area such as Pediatric Orthopedics, Oncology Orthopedics, or Sports Medicine.
To be a successful Orthopedic Doctor, you should be attentive and meticulous with good hand dexterity. You should also have good interpersonal and communication skills, and show compassion and empathy for your patients.
Orthopedic Doctor Responsibilities:
- Taking patients' histories, using specialized equipment to determine the extent of a fraction or injury, and determining the best mode of treatment.
- Performing blood tests to check for degenerative bone conditions.
- Strengthening an area of the body through exercises, ultrasounds, and strength training.
- Surgically repairing bones, nerves, ligaments, tendons, and joints to promote healing.
- Treating acute and chronic injuries and pain.
- Prescribing medications to aid patients in their recovery.
- Monitoring patients' healing processes and making necessary adjustments to their treatment plans.
- Arranging rehabilitation plans after surgeries.
- Supervising and assigning duties to nurses and other medical staff, and referring patients to other specialists for further treatment or recovery plans.
- Enhancing your abilities and remaining up to date through attending medical conferences and courses.
Orthopedic Doctor Requirements:
- A Medical degree in Orthopedics and the successful completion of a fellowship and residency.
- A license and certification to practice medicine.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Good analytical, organizational, and problem-solving abilities.
- Good hand-eye coordination and manual dexterity.
- A good working knowledge of the methods and equipment used in Orthopedics.
- Flexibility and the ability to work shifts and remain on call for emergency situations.
Similar Job Descriptions
Related Hiring Resources