Interview Questions for Nurse Educators:
1. Can you describe a time when you implemented a new program of study?
Look for candidates who demonstrate creative thinking skills as well as current knowledge of clinical nursing practices and procedures. Take note of candidates who answer in a negative way and, further, cannot offer an example of a new program of study.
2. How would you deal with a difficult student who is underperforming?
Demonstrates candidates' interpersonal skills and their ability to be authoritative.
3. Can you explain how you would set up a patient care plan?
Look for candidates who ask questions to determine the needs of the patient, and demonstrate up-to-date clinical nursing skills. Take note of candidates who show a lack of creativity and flexibility.
4. Have you experienced a time when you were unable to train clinical nursing staff in the use of a new piece of equipment?
Look for candidates who can acknowledge shortcomings and demonstrate a willingness to keep current with new technologies.
5. How would you handle a disruptive student in a classroom setting?
Demonstrates the candidates' ability to be authoritative and assertive. Take note of candidates who seem unsure of their abilities.