A Longshoreman works in harbors where they load and unload cargo to and from vessels. Also known as Longshore Worker or Docker Worker.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Longshoreman Job Description Template
We are looking to recruit a hard-working, safety-minded Longshoreman to assist our dockyard team with loading and unloading cargo. The Longshoreman will inspect containers for possible damage, and follow signals and instructions to ensure cargo is loaded and unloaded proficiently. You will apply your knowledge of handling different types of cargo to perform your duties prudently.
To ensure success you will perform your duties swiftly and efficiently to minimize time vessels are docked in harbor, which is costly. Preferred candidates are team players, and fast-paced and prudent.
- Attending and participating in safety meetings and training.
- Ensuring work areas are clean, tidy, and clear of debris and other obstructions.
- Maintaining awareness of surroundings and potential safety hazards when performing duties.
- Following vessel loading plans and instructions.
- Preparing cargo for lifting.
- Operating chainsaws to unsecure cargo, and cranes, forklifts, tractors and trailers to move cargo.
- Loading and unloading cargo to and from vessels' holds.
- Securing cargo on vessels.
- Ensuring compliance with safety procedures and policies.
- Informing supervisor of damaged or unsafe cargo, and other safety hazards, injury, illness or property damage.
- Previous dock or warehouse experience in transportation industry.
- Proficient with operating tractors, forklifts and cranes.
- Completion of physical examination.
- Ability to speak, write and read basic English.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision, and to follow instructions and procedures.
- Physically fit, strong, agile and dexterous.
- Available for standby duty, and to work shifts, over weekends and on public holidays.
- Undeterred by heights, confined or cluttered spaces, noise, adverse climatic conditions and the proximity of moving mechanical parts.