Interview Questions for IT Business Analysts:
1. Describe an experience where you had to influence an executive. How did you succeed?
Candidates should describe how they identified a problem, explained the problem in a way that was consumable by management, supplemented their communication with written documentation or presentations, and managed to sway them. This speaks to their communicative ability.
2. What are the different segments of a SQL statement?
It helps to know how proficient candidates are in their technical ability. Candidates should know the basics of SQL statements, which are the Data Definition Language, the Data Manipulation Language, and the Data Control Language.
3. What, in your opinion, is the most important quality of an IT Business Analyst?
Candidates should list excellent communication and interpersonal skills, along with a knack for problem-solving as key attributes in an IT business analyst.
4. What is most important when implementing new software applications?
Candidates should note the importance of testing new software to ensure that is functional and that staff will be able to operate it before it is implemented.
5. Describe a time when you made a mistake in your duties. How did you rectify it?
Candidates should note the importance of diligence in their duties and the potential consequences of oversight. Look for stories where candidates erred, rectified their error, and learned a valuable lesson from it.