Interview Questions for Grants Managers:
1. How do you keep up-to-date with ever-changing donor environments and grant program trends?
Look for candidates that constantly research and update their donor databases. Candidates should also demonstrate a thorough knowledge of the funding environment.
2. How do you deal with a dissatisfied donor agency or client?
Look for candidates with strong problem solving and conflict resolution techniques. Candidates should also be able to rally staff to meet donor expectations and ensure continued donor support.
3. What is your approach to financial planning and grant program budgeting?
Look for candidates that demonstrate sound budgeting and financial planning techniques. Also, candidates should be able to delicately balance competing financial interests.
4. What tools and techniques do you use to measure the success or failure of a grant program?
Look for candidates that demonstrate knowledge of data analysis. Candidates should also be able to accurately gauge if grant objectives were met, and if not, how to improve results.
5. What do you find challenging about accurately monitoring expenditure and budgeting in general?
Look for candidates that are honest about challenges. Candidates should also demonstrate a willingness to collaborate with senior management and the finance team.