Forensic Science Technician Job Description Template
We are looking for a qualified forensic science technician to join our team. In this role, you will collaborate with law enforcement by collecting and analyzing physical evidence from crime scenes. You will also be required to testify as an expert witness in court.
To ensure success as a forensic science technician, you should demonstrate extensive knowledge of DNA analysis, chemistry, and ballistics. Ultimately, top-notch forensic science technicians are able to apply their expert analytical skills in the field, in the laboratory, and in court.
Forensic Science Technician Responsibilities:
- Identifying, interpreting, and analyzing physical evidence in a laboratory.
- Visiting and assessing crime scenes, and collecting biological and non-biological samples.
- Handling hazardous materials appropriately and preventing contamination of physical evidence.
- Utilizing standard laboratory equipment and scientific methods when processing and analyzing samples.
- Accurately recording and reporting findings.
- Consulting other experts, like medical professionals, chemists, or firearm experts, where relevant.
- Expediting the submission of forensic reports to law enforcement.
- Collaborating with Law Enforcement on the further investigation of cases.
- Assisting legal counsel and testifying as an expert witness in court.
Forensic Science Technician Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in forensic sciences, biology, chemistry, or similar.
- Previous experience as a forensic science technician preferred.
- Experience in evidence-taking and processing in a law enforcement agency.
- Advanced knowledge of chemistry, biochemistry, standard laboratory equipment, and scientific methods.
- Demonstrable experience with DNA typing, interpreting blood-spatter patterns, and ballistic testing.
- Exceptional analytical thinking and reasoning skills.
- Excellent written and oral presentation skills.
- Thorough knowledge of legal processes and court proceedings.
- Ability to testify in court as an expert witness.
- Willingness to work irregular hours.