Flight Nurses are registered nurses who specialize in providing advanced patient care on medical evacuation flights. Their duties include caring for critically ill patients before and during flights, and following in-flight protocols. They are also required to accurately exchange crucial patient information upon arrival at emergency departments.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Flight Nurse Job Description Template
We are looking for a highly skilled and experienced Flight Nurse to ensure optimal in-flight care for critically ill patients. In this role, your duties will include autonomously evaluating the condition of patients, providing advanced medical support, and updating awaiting emergency departments on the ETA and nature of the intervention required.
To ensure success, Flight Nurses should possess extensive experience in performing specialized emergency care under pressure and the ability to accurately relay medical information. Accomplished candidates are team players who exhibit advanced knowledge of aviation protocols and procedures.
Flight Nurse Responsibilities:
- Communicating with dispatch staff and healthcare providers assisting patients onsite.
- Evaluating the condition of critically ill patients upon flight arrival and commencing with treatment.
- Performing advanced critical care interventions and monitoring vitals throughout the flight.
- Informing awaiting emergency departments on the condition of patients, as well as the ETA.
- Providing detailed information on medicines administered and procedures performed upon arrival.
- Collaborating with healthcare specialists after the admission of critically ill patients, when required.
- Inventorizing medical supplies, instruments, and medication, as well as replenishing stocks on the aircraft.
- Ensuring that regular maintenance is performed on specialized onboard medical equipment.
- Following in-flight protocols and performing pilot assistance duties as needed to ensure safe and timely arrival.
- Staying up to date with the latest developments in the practice of in-flight trauma care.
Flight Nurse Requirements:
- Master of Science in Nursing Degree (MSN).
- BCEN-accredited Certified Flight Registered Nurse (CFRN).
- 5 years of working as a Critical Care, Trauma, or Emergency Nurse, including in-flight experience.
- Extensive knowledge of flight protocols and safety procedures.
- Advanced ability to accurately evaluate, treat, and monitor critically ill patients under pressure.
- Ability to administer medicine and provide advanced life support in a confined and noisy space.
- Ability to monitor medical supplies, instruments, and equipment.
- Exceptional ability to relay ETAs, patient condition, and intervention details to awaiting medical staff.
- Proficiency in keeping up with advancements in the field of in-flight trauma nursing.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and recordkeeping skills.
Similar Job Descriptions
Related Hiring Resources