Emotional intelligence is the ability to use emotional information to guide thinking and behavior, to recognize other people's emotions and your own, and to discriminate between different feelings and label them appropriately.
Emotional intelligence, or EQ, has come into vogue as a good trait to hire for.
EQ is considered essential to help teams function well. Here are some of the top questions for help you get an idea of how candidates perceive their emotions and those of others.
11 Tested Emotional Intelligence Questions:
- If you started a company today, what would its top values be?
- Who inspires you? Why?
- How could you create more balance in your life?
- What makes you angry?
- How do you have fun?
- How good are you at asking for help?
- How did you deal with a bad day?
- What's something you're really proud of? Why?
- Tell me about a time when your mood altered your performance (positively or negatively).
- Has there ever been a time when you felt you needed to change your behavior at work? How did you do it?
- Did you create friendships that lasted while working at a previous job?