Directors of engineering, or engineering directors, run all of the engineering activities and projects within an organization, and make sure these are aligned with the established policies and objectives of the organizations.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Director of Engineering Job Description Template
We are seeking a director of engineering with an active-oriented mindset and a focus on exceeding expectations, who operates with vision and integrity. Directors of engineering can expect to play an active role in the development and completion of projects, meet and report back to upper management, plan and monitor work schedules and cash flows, and work with multiple and diverse teams. Some of their responsibilities also include aligning engineering activities and projects with company goals and objectives, providing expert guidance and support, approving newly-developed policies from various departments, and maintaining positive relationships with both internal and external stakeholders.
To be successful as a director of engineering, you should have exceptional leadership, communication and project management skills, years’ of management experience, and a belief in developing the skills and talents of others. Ideal candidates will have experience in identifying and navigating organizational changes, a keen interest in international trends in engineering and leadership, and an above average emotional intelligence.
Director of Engineering Responsibilities:
- Reporting to top management.
- Maintaining good relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Implementing best practice engineering methods.
- Providing technical guidance to engineering teams and top management.
- Supporting established organizational objectives by developing goals and strategies.
- Presenting budgets and plans.
- Finding and implementing ways to improve cost-efficiency.
- Dismissing and hiring new staff.
Director of Engineering Requirements:
- 8+ years of experience in management.
- Master's degree in business administration.
- Bachelor's degree within the engineering field.
- Up-to-date knowledge of the industry.