Costume designers create the outfits and clothing worn by characters in films, television shows, or theater productions. They study the script to determine the costume requirements, conduct research to guide the designs, create wardrobe sketches and costume plots, design and construct the garments, and perform final touches on the set.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Costume Designer Job Description Template
We are looking for a talented costume designer to join our crew. In this role, you will be required to meet with the producers and directors, analyze and interpret the script, research time periods and character histories, and coordinate the process of costume design from conception to creation.
To be a successful costume designer, you should be highly versatile and able to work under pressure. A skilled costume designer should be able to accurately interpret the director's vision and be able to create costumes in a variety of styles.
Costume Designer Responsibilities:
- Meeting with the producers and directors to ideate and define wardrobe requirements.
- Conducting research on time periods, character profiles, materials, and translation styles.
- Preparing initial sketches, costume research, and wardrobe concepts for presentation.
- Presenting final costume designs, costume plots, and samples for feedback.
- Implementing modifications to the wardrobe for final approval.
- Coordinating the design, rental, and construction of garments.
- Participating in wardrobe fittings and production dress rehearsals.
- Performing fittings, adjustments, and final touches on set.
- Managing the project timelines, fitting schedules, and budgets.
Costume Designer Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in costume design, fashion design, or similar preferred.
- Strong portfolio of previous work.
- A minimum of two years of experience as a costume designer.
- Strong research and interpretation skills
- Good knowledge of design principles, techniques, and translation styles.
- Detailed knowledge of materials and textiles.
- The ability to design and sew patterns for a variety of garments.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- The ability to work under pressure and meet strict deadlines.
- Strong attention to detail and collaboration skills.
Similar Job Descriptions
Related Hiring Resources