Seamstresses alter, mend, modify and construct garments and other articles according to customers' specifications and needs. They may be self-employed or work in factories, dry cleaners, department stores or boutiques.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Seamstress Job Description Template
We are looking to employ an experienced Seamstress to mend, alter, and construct garments and other fabric-made articles according to customers' needs. The Seamstress's responsibilities include replacing buttons, zippers, pockets, and linings, adding padding and shaping materials to garments, and modifying garment styles based on customers’ specifications. You should also be able to estimate the cost of constructing various garments, taking into account the amount of time and materials required.
To be successful as a Seamstress, you should demonstrate sound knowledge of various fabrics and sewing techniques. Ultimately, an outstanding Seamstress should be able to achieve exceptional customer service and ensure that all tasks are completed in a timely manner.
- Accurately measuring customers using tape measures to ensure proper fit of garments.
- Ensuring that sewing machines and other equipment are in good working order.
- Altering or repairing customers' garments and other articles, which includes hemming, mending, lengthening, as well as taking in and letting out seams.
- Fitting garments on customers to determine how the alterations should be done.
- Constructing garments and other articles according to customers’ specifications and preferences.
- Labeling customers' garments and articles and recording the alterations required.
- Communicating with customers to determine their specifications, needs, and preferences.
- Using irons and pressing machines to erase the creases on garments and other articles.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Proven sewing experience.
- Sound knowledge of various fabrics and sewing techniques.
- The ability to work under time constraints.
- The ability to safely use different types of sewing machines.
- Good hand-eye coordination.
- Effective communication skills.
- Exceptional customer service skills.
Similar Job Descriptions
Related Hiring Resources