Also known as Fishers, Commercial Fishermen use various fishing equipment to catch fish and other aquatic animals that are consumed by humans and animals or used as bait. They measure captured fish to ensure compliance with legal size requirements, release illegal catches, and store the captured fish in refrigerated or ice-filled holds.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Commercial Fisherman Job Description Template
We are looking for a hard-working and experienced Commercial Fisherman to be a part of a large crew responsible for catching various types of fish and other marine life. The Commercial Fisherman's responsibilities include preparing the caught fish for sale, examining the caught fish for any defects or signs of poor health, and unloading the caught fish off the vessel. You should also be able to perform minor repairs on fishing gear and equipment as needed.
To be successful as a Commercial Fisherman, you should be physically fit and able to operate complex fishing equipment and machinery. Ultimately, an exceptional Commercial Fisherman should be knowledgeable of different fishing techniques as well as demonstrate excellent communication, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills.
Commercial Fisherman Responsibilities:
- Appropriately planning all fishing operations by identifying the best fishing grounds, assessing weather and sea conditions, and estimating the duration of each fishing trip.
- Utilizing fish-finding equipment to locate fish and other aquatic animals.
- Positioning nets, fishing lines, traps, and dredges to catch fish, crustaceans, and other aquatic animals.
- Measuring caught fish to determine whether they meet legal size requirements and releasing all illegal catches into the water.
- Cleaning the caught fish, sorting them, and storing them in refrigerated or ice-filled holds.
- Operating trawl winch systems and similar machinery to hoist captured fish onto the vessel.
- Ensuring that all hoisting machinery is in good working order.
- Performing basic cleaning duties on board the vessel as needed.
Commercial Fisherman Requirements:
- High school diploma or GED is preferred.
- Proven experience working as a Commercial Fisherman.
- Appropriate state licensure and commercial fishing permit.
- Sound knowledge of fishing laws.
- Working knowledge of fishing technology and equipment.
- The ability to operate complex fishing equipment.
- Excellent critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Effective communication skills.
- Physically fit.
Similar Job Descriptions
Related Hiring Resources